The end of the year is just around the corner! That means most of us are focused on spending the holiday season with friends and family. While it can be difficult to broach the topic of estate planning, the holidays are a great time to start the conversation. Make sure you have the appropriate safety measures and documents in order to protect your loved ones. From lady bird deeds to living wills and special needs trusts, we can help you plan for your family’s future.
We recommend that you review your estate plan every year and after major life events. Here’s a quick checklist to help you determine if an estate plan review is needed.
- Increase or decrease in your assets
- Receive an inheritance
- Wedding, divorce, or break-up
- Loss of a loved one
- Birth or adoption of a child or grandchild
- Children have grown up
- Loss of your executor, guardians, trustees, etc.
- Desire to change your executor, guardians, trustees, etc.
- Desire to provide for a charitable or other organization
- Started a business
- Sold a business
- Desire to change your heirs or beneficiaries
- Bought or sold a home or other real property
- Moved out of state
- Need to care or provide for a loved one with a mental health issue, disorder, or developmental disability
- It has been three years or more since you have reviewed your estate plan
If you have questions about your estate plan or starting the process with friends and family, contact Atlas Law today.
Estate Planning Attorney
Would you like to learn more? If so, we can help. Call our Michigan estate planning attorney today! Our lawyer’s office is located in Plymouth, Michigan. We provide estate planning services to all of Plymouth, Canton, Northville, Novi, Livonia, Commerce, Farmington and Farmington Hills. We offer exceptional legal services in the areas of wills, trusts, special needs trusts, probate, living trusts, revocable trusts, charitable trusts, medical power of attorney, durable power of attorney, and more!
About the Author: Aaron R. Shahan is an estate planning and probate attorney at Atlas Law, PLC.
Free Consultations! Call Today! (248) 773-555
Want to learn more? Check out our
Free Estate Planning Resources
including checklists, books and more!